Sunday, July 18, 2021

Portfolio 03 Week 01

Story Beat 01

For this portfolio sprint, I will be illustrating story beats - one each week. My research will be seeing how these sorts of illustrations are done for films. I will also be showing my process throughout. For future presentations, I will have a timelapse video of me working. This week I dived right into the assignment so I forgot to record myself, therefore I will be showing images for this week.

For the first story beat, I wanted to introduce Rapunzel and her problem of being unable to leave her tower due to her anxiety, leaving her distraught. I've seen people experiment with different compositions before settling on one, so here are the 3 shots I experimented with. I decided to go with the 3rd one since we get a good view of Rapunzel's face, which is the most important part.




For these shots I tried using camera techniques for how I wanted the audience to feel. I tilted the camera for an attempt of giving a sense of uneasiness.

After rendering out my frame, I went into photoshop and sketched in Rapunzel. I put the mannequin in to help with foreshortening and placement. I thought that having her hand on the rail would make the illustration more visually interesting.



It seems that for film, story beats offer a way to show how the camera, lighting, and mood of the scene would be. Since we're seeing Rapunzel in a sad state over something she thinks she can't change, I wanted to have the shadow cover most of her face seen by the audience. Since the light is coming more from the back, I liked the idea of Rapunzel being giving a nice rim light that would help her pop even more.

In terms of process, my work for this illustration was anything but organized so that is something I'm going to be working on in the next story beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment